Friday, January 9, 2009

I'M IN THE HOLY LAND!!!!

It's evening here...but Its only morning there in CA. I finally made it. It was pretty much an uneventful trip. I was sick on some flights...and the airlines lost my luggage but I'm excited that I made it here through all the opposition that tried to stop me. It is absolutely amazing here. To wake up with the Call to Prayer around the city. It see the Dome of the Rock and the many churches that are here and all of the sites. I can't even describe the joy I feel. I'm definately supposed to be here right now. Yesterday we had a tour of the Old City (right now it is offlimits because tensions are high with Gaza and Lebanon). Today we had a demonstration after prayer at midday. We've been couped up inside the center...but we've had classes to keep us occupied. And there really isn't that much to do on Fridays because the muslims have prayer in the mosque and then in the afternoon/evening everyone prepares to be home by sunset when the sabbath starts. Everything is basically closed. I know this really isn't a very informative blog. I just wanted to let you all know what is going on. Tomorrow I'll have more free time and I'll be able to compose a long email of all that has gone on the few days that I have been here trying to recover from jetlag and learn everyone's names at the same time. YIKES!!!!! One thing I can say for certain right now though is that I will miss Middle Eastern food. It is so much better than American food. No wonder they hate us ;) our food is all fatty and gross compared to their flavorful masterpieces. Yesterday we tried this wonderful spice and bread that the security guards bought us while we were in the city. It is called za'atar!!!! It is amazing!!!! you can dip bread in it and it makes your mouth go wild with flavor!!! you can also add it to some olive oil and dip bread in that or sprinkle some over a cream cheese bagel. Its awesome.

Here is a link to the recipe. Or one of the many recipes for it out there.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Zaatar-16621
I'm sorry that I am unable to post any pictures or go onto facebook so send any pictures home. I will have to send pictures or do something to tell you all of my experience while I was here.

Gotta get working on the homework now!!!
TTY tomorrow!!!!

No comments: